A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program or application that may be unwanted, despite the likelihood that user consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in combination with a program that the user wants.
AV software such as Intrusta, in general, will not remove it because it's not inherently harmful. It may serve some legit purpose, but does a LOT of annoying things along the way.
If you are experiencing issues while browsing the internet such as pop-ups or weird homepages, check out this article.
- Open the Control Panel
- Click on Uninstall a program or Programs & Features.
- Scroll through the list of programs and look for any programs that have suspicious names, publishers or are missing a logo icon.
- If you do find something suspicious, confirm with the user that they wish to have this removed and then click Uninstall.
- Open Finder
- Go to Applications
- Scroll through the applications list, utilities folder, and any other folders to check for suspicious applications or items.
- If you do find something suspicious, confirm with the user that they wish to have this removed and then move that item to the trash by right-clicking and selecting Move to Trash.
- Also, be sure to check network locations for anything suspicious.